Angry Tundra: see first posting March 2008

Friday, November 28, 2008

Aquil Copier, the original Dutch Google Earth Artist!

Well, it seems I'm not the first Dutch Google Earth artist after all. Aquil Copier has been making Google Earth Art since 2005 (when his GE painting was nominated for the Royal Dutch art prize). His website (see GE links) has been online since may 2007. Aquil also has a blog to keep you up to date http://aquilcopier.blogspot.com/.
Right now Aquil has an exhibition in Amsterdam at 2X2 projects. If you want to see it you'll have to be fast, it runs till the 29th of November. Here's the link to the gallery site.
http://www.2x2p.com/?Tnext=program&item=134&click=1227874680C
His work got the attention of a national paper. I don't think the critic quite got the relevance of Google Earth art, treating it as just another angle to do landscape painting. His interesting technique was deemed more important than the subject of his paintings. But what the hell, new ideas are born overnight, but it takes years for them to reach adulthood. Good work Aquil and welcome to the club!

3 comments:

  1. hello all. I have included a link to your blog on my page. I hope you dont mind. I call my art Earth Graffiti- or Sat Art- google art sounds very trivial- and would love to give this art medium my support.Please check out my work in detail on http://www.artslant.com/global/artists/show/55847-patty-van-sprang

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Dutch Australian by the way!!
    www.earthsgraffiti.blogspot.com. I would love to hear from fellow artists

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't have improved myself. Magnificent!
    canon ink

    ReplyDelete